Okehampton Cycle Routes
3 West Street
Tel: 01837 52295
This selection of four routes (with on extension for the more adventurous cyclist) all start in and around Okehampton, and will take you to some of West Devon's most delightful small villages and towns.
The cycle routes were recommended by Okehampton Cycle Club and based on some of their favourite rides. The routes are not suitable for novice cyclists or those without a good standard of fitness.
Some of the routes utilise sections of Bridleways - these are not always suitable for dedicated road bike, of for cyclists who prefer to stick to smoother surfaces.
Route descriptions are detailed, but you may find it useful to carry the appropritate Ordnance Survey map to complement the directions. All distances quoted are approximate only. It is also advisable to take adequate food and drink with you, especially on the longer routes.
The full booklet of routes can be downloaded from this website or collected from the Tourist Information Centre in Okehampton. Alternatively, the individual routes are detailed and available for download from this website.
To find out more about cycling on Dartmoor. Go to Visit Dartmoor HERE
- Bar - There are pubs in many of the villages (and in Okehampton itself) on the Cycle Routes.
- Café - A number of the villages (and Okehampton itself) have cafes, or sell food.
- Accommodation nearby - For cyclists wishing to stay overnight, there are many options in Okehampton and the surrounding area, including hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and camping. Check the accomodation pages for more information, or call in at Okehampton Tourist Information Centre.
- Experience level - intermediate - These cycle routes are mainly on quiet country lanes, with the occasional stretch of main road. Cyclists should be comfortable with these conditions and have good road awareness.
- Fitness level required - medium - There are gradual and steep climbs and descents on these cycle routes. A good level of fitness is required, although if taken slowly (with perhaps the odd bit of pushing), these routes should be manageable by most cyclists.
- Open All Year
- Route maps available - The full booklet of routes can be downloaded from this website or collected from the Tourist Information Centre in Okehampton. Alternatively, the individual routes are detailed and available for download from this website.
- Self guided walks/cycle rides - The cycle routes can be easily followed with the downloadable descriptions and route maps.
- Shop - There are shops in Okehampton, and many of the villages along the Cycle Routes.
- Toilets - There are public toilet facilities in Okehampton.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Car parking is available at Okehampton Station, and there are a number of other car parks in Okehampton.
- Circular Route
- Difficult Route
- Moderate Route
- Throwleigh Cycle Route - 18 miles Moderate Cycle
- Monkokehampton Cycle Route - 20 miles Moderate Cycle
- Lewtrenchard Cycle Route - 25 miles Moderate Cycle
- Hatherleigh and Folly Gate Cycle Route - 20 miles Moderate Cycle
- Drogo and Chagford Extension Cycle Route - 10 miles Moderate Cycle
Map & Directions
|Okehampton Cycle Routes (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|