As we come slowly out of lockdown, there are many of us currently indoors and in our gardens, waiting for a chance to get outside and explore the countryside that is on our doorsteps. A self-guided holiday could be the perfect mix of discovering tucked away trails, hiking off of the beaten path, on a hassle-free trip organised for you and carefully curated to keep you safe and happy while away form home!
Whether you want to travel on your own, away from the crowds, or bring your own family or small grouping to journey together and return to nature, walking is a great way to enjoy the fresh air, discover the history of the places you love and stretch your legs each day in the sunshine over the hills!
Here are 5 reasons why a self-guided walking tour might suit you:
1. Walk at your own pace, in your own time. There is no need to ‘keep up’ with the group, or slow down so the group can catch up. Leave when you like in the morning and arrive when you choose in the afternoon. Walking on your own or bringing your own small household group with you on a privately organized trip also helps reduce any risks associated with travelling at the moment!
2. Hassle-free with all the organisation done for you! Figuring out which hotels are opening at the moment can be time-consuming. We take all the hassle out of walking by, organising and booking all accommodation, including all luggage transfers, providing maps, GPS instructions, and recommending iconic sites along the way.
3. Working with reliable partners: We choose long-term and reliable hotel partners and provide restaurant recommendations only to pubs, cafés and hotels who we are confident adhere to government guidance around social distancing, cleanliness and hygiene – so you can be assured all possible measures are in place to reduce the risk to you while you are away.
4. Immerse yourself in local culture, village life, and the lesser known parts of Dartmoor, Devon and Cornwall! Travelling on your own can be a great way to dive right into local life and landscape wherever you travel, exploring the beauty, countryside and coast around you while avoiding the overcrowded places along the way. Our itineraries are constantly monitored and can be altered to suit both your interests and the time of year you travel.
5. Enjoy the freedom of lingering longer in the places you discover along the way. Spend longer over lunch or exploring gardens, take more café stops or bring your coffee with you as you walk. This holiday is about what you want to do and see, you are your own guide walking along canals, rivers and meadows into our incredible towns and cities at your own leisure.
If you are fit and well and looking forward to walking the days away this Autumn, get in touch and we can help you organize a bespoke self-guided tour through Dartmoor, Devon and Cornwall! Take a look at our 6 Day Self-Guided Cornwall Walking Tour and our 6 Day Guided Devon and Cornwall Walking Tour for inspiration.
Active England is a ‘Good To Go’ Travel Operator and are proud to confirm that we have put the necessary processes in place, including comprehensive COVID-19 risk assessments to ensure the safely of our guests, suppliers and guides are upheld on all of our tours.
Will Cairns, Director of Active England Tours, has said “We’ve worked hard, in close collaboration with Visit England and all our accommodation and other partners to ensure that all of our operations run in line with government guidance, for now and for the future. We are looking forward to providing socially distanced tours – that are still social and fun, for those with a thirst for adventure!”.