West Devon Cycle Routes
Tel: 01822 612938
These four circular and one linear routes take you on a tour of some of the unspoilt areas of West Devon, including many points of interest along the way.
The routes are not suitable for novice cyclists or those without a good standard of fitness.
Some of the routes utilise sections of Bridleways - these are not always suitable for dedicated road bike, of for cyclists who prefer to stick to smoother surfaces.
Route descriptions are detailed, but you may find it useful to carry the appropritate Ordnance Survey map to complement the directions. All distances quoted are approximate only. It is also advisable to take adequate food and drink with you, especially on the longer routes.
The full booklet of routes can be downloaded from this website. Alternatively, the individual routes are detailed and available for download from this website.
To find out more about cycling on Dartmoor. Go to Visit Dartmoor HERE
- Bar - There are pubs in a number of the villages along the routes in scenic locations and at convenient stopping points, as well as in Okehampton, Tavistock and Hatherleigh.
- Café - Cafes can be found in Okehampton and Tavistock, and refreshments and food can be found in a number of villages along the routes.
- Accommodation nearby - For cyclists wishing to stay overnight, there are many options in the villages, towns and surrounding areas, including hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and camping. Check the accomodation pages for more information, or call in at the Okehampton or Tavistock Tourist Information Centres.
- Experience level - intermediate - These routes are mainly on quiet lanes, with some busy road crossings. A good level of cycling experience and road awareness is recommended if following these routes.
- Fitness level required - medium - These routes include steady and steep climbs and descents. A good level of fitness is required, although if taken slower (and perhaps with the odd bit of pushing!) the routes should be manageable by most cyclists. Also, note that shortcuts are available on most routes.
- Route maps available - The series of West Devon Cycle Routes can be downloaded from this website in as a collection, or individually as preferred. Route descriptions and maps are availble. Ordnance Survey maps may be useful to support the use of downloadable route maps.
- Self guided walks/cycle rides - The self guided cycle routes are easy to follow with the downloadable maps and directions.
- Shop - There are shops in Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Tavistock and a number of other villages along the cycle routes.
- Toilets - There are public toilets in Okehampton, Tavistock and Hatherleigh.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - There are some car parks, and on street parking in the various villages that comprise the start points of the cycle routes.
- Circular Route
- Difficult Route
- Easy Route
- Linear Route
- Moderate Route
- Bere Peninsula Cycle Route - 9 miles Moderate to Difficult Cycle
- Bridestowe to Roadford Reservoir Cycle Route - 21 miles Moderate Cycle
- Lopwell Dam Cycle Link Route - 4.5 miles Easy to Moderate Cycle
- Sticklepath Cycle Route - 30 miles Moderate Cycle
- Tavistock Cycle Route - short route 11 miles, long route 26 miles Moderate Cycle
Map & Directions
|West Devon Cycle Routes (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|