Castle Drogo is situated high above the Teign Gorge. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens for self-made millionaire Julius Drewe. It looks ancient, but this remarkable building was only constructed 100 years ago, the last castle ever built in England. From the beginning it has suffered from water penetration and is now undergoing a 6 year conservation project that will last until 2018 to make it watertight.
Inside you can explore the castle‘s refreshed layout, with rooms redisplayed with installations and precious treasures displayed in new ways.
Outside stroll around the formal gardens or explore the Teign Valley with its ancient gorge, teeming with wildlife.
Or recharge at the café with a traditional Devon cream tea or tuck into a slice of cake.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Audio
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille, touch list for the house.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Two tearooms (40 covers at each)
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted
- Max group size - 43
- Min group size - 15
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A30. Five miles from A30 via Crockernwell cars only, or turn off A382 at Sandy Park, all coaches.
|Castle Drogo (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|