The beautiful countryside around Okehampton is rich with wildlife, steeped in history and waiting to be explored.....just take a walk.
These four countryside walks to the east of Okehampton take in panoramic views, wild moorlands, tranquil rivers and woodlands.
To find out more about walking on Dartmoor. Go to Visit Dartmoor HERE
- Café - There are food and drink facilities in Okehampton and some of the villages on and close to the walks.
- Accommodation nearby - There are various accomodation options on and near to the walks - including hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and campsites. Check the accomodation pages, or contact the Okehampton Tourist Information Centre for more information.
- Fitness level required - medium - The routes include climbs and descents of varying lengths and steepness. The surfaces also vary between woodland paths, paved, rocky, and can be wet/muddy after prolonged rain. A good standard of fitness is therefore recommended for walkers using these routes to get the most enjoyment from them.
- Open All Year
- Route maps available - Route maps and directions can be downloaded from this website.
- Shop - There are a variety of shops in Okehampton, and a village shop in Sticklepath.
- Toilets - There are public toilets facilities in Okehampton.
- Circular Route
- Easy Route
- Linear Route
- Moderate Route
- The Two Museums Walk - Linear walk - 5 miles Easy to Moderate Walk
- The Okement Valley - Circular walk - 4 miles Easy to Moderate Walk
- The Heights of Dartmoor - Circular walk - 2.5 miles Moderate Walk
- Stepping Stones and Wild Flowers - Circular walk - 3 miles Moderate Walk
Map & Directions
All four walks can be started from central Okehampton. Three are circular, with one linear route to Sticklepath, from where a bus can be caught back to Okehampton.
|Okehampton Countryside Walks - East (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|