The beautiful countryside around Okehampton is rich with wildlife, steeped in history and waiting to be explored.....just take a walk.
These four countryside walks to the east of Okehampton take in panoramic views, wild moorlands, tranquil rivers and woodlands.
- Café - There are food and drink facilities in Okehampton and some of the villages on and close to the walks.
- Accommodation nearby - There are various accomodation options on and near to the walks - including hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and campsites. Check the accomodation pages, or contact the Okehampton Tourist Information Centre for more information.
- Fitness level required - medium - The routes include climbs and descents of varying lengths and steepness. The surfaces also vary between woodland paths, paved, rocky, and can be wet/muddy after prolonged rain. A good standard of fitness is therefore recommended for walkers using these routes to get the most enjoyment from them.
- Open All Year
- Route maps available - Route maps and directions can be downloaded from this website.
- Shop - There are a variety of shops in Okehampton, and a village shop in Sticklepath.
- Toilets - There are public toilets facilities in Okehampton.
- Circular Route
- Easy Route
- Linear Route
- Moderate Route
- The Two Museums Walk - Linear walk - 5 miles Easy to Moderate Walk
- The Okement Valley - Circular walk - 4 miles Easy to Moderate Walk
- The Heights of Dartmoor - Circular walk - 2.5 miles Moderate Walk
- Stepping Stones and Wild Flowers - Circular walk - 3 miles Moderate Walk
Map & Directions
All four walks can be started from central Okehampton. Three are circular, with one linear route to Sticklepath, from where a bus can be caught back to Okehampton.
|Okehampton Countryside Walks - East (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|