Get out and get active with Adventure Okehampton, a licensed adventure centre on edge of Dartmoor National Park. For some folk, a happy holiday involves swinging from ropes, clambering up walls, splashing through water and generally hurling themselves around, upping adrenaline to recharge their batteries ready for the return to their daily routine. If this sounds like you, we’ll bet our climbing rope that you’ll like our adventure centre where you can try weaselling, mountain boarding, archery and scaling the climbing wall or high ropes course, with watersports including gorge scrambling, kayaking, raft building and canoeing on offer at the hostel’s private lake; those wanting an adrenaline rush can also have a go at the Big Oke Abseil or Dartmoor Drop, a unique free-fall abseil from a viaduct with stunning views of Dartmoor.
This centre on the edge of Dartmoor has all sorts of outdoor adventures for all ages from 5 to silver surfers. Our customers range from families and individuals through to schools, corporate groups, rugby tours, language study schools, ‘drop a dress size style’ bootcamps, DoE training, family reunions, not to forget stag and hen parties.
You don't have to be staying to take part in the activities. We have a programme of events running during the school holidays and you can book onto our daily programme of 3 different activities. Alternatively, we have day activities running on Tuesdays (Watersports), Wednesday (Rock Climbing) and Thursdays (Paddle Day on the Exe), starting at 9 and finishing by 5pm.
We also run weekend training courses in various different outdoor activities, for example Navigation Awards, Kayaking and Canoeing Courses and Rock Climbing experiences
For further details please refer to our web site
- Accommodation available for visitors with disabilities
- Designated parking provided for guests with disabilities
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Toilets for disabled visitors - One toilet/shower room on the Ground Floor suitable for disabled access.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Packed lunch available
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 5 years
- Child seat available
- Facilities for children
- Accept coach parties
- Accommodation on site
- Cater for Corporate events
- Cater for groups
- Cater for school groups
- Coach drop-off point - Coach drop-off point is before the railway bridge, as coaches can turn in the station car park. The hostel and activity centre is a short walk (50m) under the low bridge. Minibuses can access the hostel without problem.
- Conference facilities
- Drying Facilities
- Equipment/clothing free of charge
- Experience level - beginner
- Experience level - intermediate
- First Aid
- Fitness level required - low
- Free car parking
- Fully qualified instructors
- Instructor training
- Lessons/courses available
- Non members welcome
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Picnic Area
- Regular evening entertainment
- Route maps available
- Secure cycle storage
- Self guided walks/cycle rides
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- In countryside - Sitting right on the north edge of the Moor, we have great access to the open moorland and Yes Tor, as well as being on the Granite Way cycle trail, a traffic-free route along the edge of the moor.
- Max group size - 180
- Stag and Hen Parties
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking - Families and Individuals will need their own transport. Minibus travel only for pre-booked groups as part of a residential adventure break.
- Cycle hire - Right of the Granite Way, we have a large fleet of Adult and Junior Cycles, as well as tag-a-longs and baby chariots to tow behind an adult bike. Mountain Bikes and Traditional bikes available.
- Games Room - Pool table (slot-payment), Table Football (slot payment) and games like Connect within the games room. Table tennis table, but balls need to be bought from the shop.
- Water sports facilities - Our own lakes are a short distance from Okehampton suitable for kayaking, canoeing and raft building. Can take large groups.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking - 28 spaces in rear car park behind Youth Hostel
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 4 - 6 (depending on the Activity)
- Special group rates - Multiple adventure activity packages for 2,3,4 and 7 nights. Includes catering, activities and accommodation. Free leader places (dependent on group size) and free coach driver accommodation.
- Switch accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Towels Available - Towels are not provided in the rooms, but some availbility for towels which can be hired at reception. If group wants towels included in their booking they must advise at time of booking, as there is an additional cost.
- Circular Route
- Difficult Route
- Easy Route
- Linear Route
- Moderate Route
Travel & Trade
- Free accommodation for coach driver
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - In groups, for each 10 participants gives an entitlement for 1 free leader place, hence 20, entitled to 2 leader places etc. nb 39 students still equals 3 places.
- Packed lunches available
- Room/unit allocations available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
Based at Okehampton Youth Hostel, which is opposite the railway station. To check in for your activities at Adventure Okehampton, unless otherwise advised, go to the YHA Okehampton reception lobby, which is usally open 08.30 to 17.30 (April to October), where our instructor team will meet you and brief you for your activities. Just off the A30 at either south or north entry to Okehampton town, follow the signs for Okehampton town centre. The centre is signposted from the entrance to the town, so follow the Tourist Information signs (Brown) signs to the Youth Hostel which is opposite Okehampton Railway Station.
There is a map on our web-site:
Beware when using the postcode, EX20 1EW, as occasionally some Sat-Navs do not take you the correct way into Okehampton More details: From the East Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and turn right at the end of the slip road. Follow this road for a further 2 miles into Okehampton town centre. In the town centre, you will pass over straight over two sets of traffic lights. In the town centre, pass a set of traffic lights (Pelican Crossing) and at the next set of traffic lights turn left, following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. About 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400m turn left at the monument following signs to the Station. Follow this road, passing under the railway bridge and take the first left to enter the Youth Hostel, where the car park is behind The Goods Shed. From the West Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and follow road for about 2 miles into the town. At the first set of traffic lights, on a crossroads junction, turn right following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. After 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400 m turn left at the monument following signs to the Station. Follow this road, passing under the railway bridge and take the first left to enter the Youth Hostel, where the Hostel car park is behind The Goods Shed. From Launceston: Leave A30 on roads signposted for Okehampton, head into the town centre. In town centre turn right at traffic lights by White Hart, then turn third right up station road. At the Memorial, turn left into Klondyke Road. Follow this road, passing under the railway bridge and take the first left to enter the Youth Hostel, where the Hostel car park is behind The Goods Shed.
Public Transport Directions
There are regular buses departing from Exeter Bus Station and Exeter St Davids to Okehampton every day although the last service is early evening. Check out the Devon Travel Planner web-site to assist with timetables. Some days there are services to and from: Bude, Hatherleigh, Crediton, Tavistock and Plymouth.
Rail services are available arriving around 10.30 on Sundays between June and mid-September. You can book a private group session for 4 people or more to take advantage of the rail service from Exeter.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dartmoor First 2010
|Adventure Okehampton (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Opening time: 09.00 - 17.00 5 days per week (July-August, Easter, October Half-term).
Outside these hours, Hostel reception staff will take your call, 17.00 to 20.00.
Office opening time: 09.00 - 15.00 5 days per week (Monday to Friday, September-June)
Check our accommodation availability on-line, as sometime the hostel has exclusive hire bookings out of season (e.g. Christmas and New Year)
Cycle Hire is open 9 to 5pm during main season (March to October)
For all courses please refer to the web site