This accommodation does not have any available rooms
Bracken Tor House is a licensed venue for civil ceremonies set in 4 acres of landscaped grounds on the edge of Dartmoor above Okehampton. It is a secluded, picturesque and idyllic retreat for a beautiful wedding ceremony and reception.
Within the grounds are two buildings surrounded by bluebell woods and open moorland with great views over the town of Okehampton.
The main house is an Arts & Crafts style built in 1908 with oak panelling and leaded windows. Bracken Tor Lodge is a recently converted pumphouse adorned in local granite. Both offer warm reception areas and comfortable accommodation.
The wider grounds offer spaces for camping, campfires and BBQs with the woods and open moorland waiting to be explored. This English countryside location and delightful grounds will offer a beautiful backdrop to your perfect day.
There are two areas which are licensed by Devon County Council.
Most choose to have the ceremony under the pagoda in our beautiful gardens. There is outdoor seating for 100 guests and a temporary shelter is available in the event of poor weather, which can be erected near the pagoda.
In winter you may prefer to use our new function room for the ceremony. This has two paved areas adjacent where guests can gather whilst we rearrange the room for a reception afterwards.
- Free Wi-Fi available
- Picinic Area
- Within 1 Mile of a Train Station - Heritage line with limited sunday service to mainline station during the summer.
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users - One wheelchair accessible bathroom downstairs and no access for wheel chairs to upper floors.
- Facilities for the Disabled - One wheelchair accessible bathroom downstairs and no access for wheel chairs to upper floors.
- Cater for vegetarians - We can cater for all types of diets provided advance notice is given. We do operate a nut-free kitchen.
- Cooking facilities for guests' use - Small self-catering kitchen are present in both Bracken Tor House and Bracken Tor Lodge
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Serve breakfast - The Function room can provide a full Dartmoor Breakfast, including toast and cereals, selection from Bacon, Sausage, Tomatoes, Beans, Hash Browns and scrambled eggs. For weddings separate arrangements can be made for breakfasts in the function room.
- Serve evening meal - For Weddings a variety of menus are available, from cream teas, Hog Roasts, Hot and Cold finger buffets, Curry Buffet through to 3 course meals with full table service. A full price list is available for 2018 and 2019.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - We have some travel cots that can be booked for younger children. Please mention when booking, as there are a limited number of these available. High Chairs available: enquire at reception or prior to arrival.
- Accept children all ages
- Children's play area - There are several areas of green space outside that children may play ball-games. Inside there is a games room. All the specialist outdoor equipment must be used under supervision of an Adventure Okehampton activity instructor and these areas of gated when not in use.
- Cot - We have some travel cots that can be booked for younger children. Please mention when booking, as there are a limited number of these available.
- Highchair - High Chairs available: enquire at reception or prior to arrival.
- Accept coach parties - Large coaches will need to drop-off guests at the end of the lane, a 200m walk from hostel as large coaches cannot access the hostel grounds due to turning area restrictions. Small coaches can enter grounds and turn, subject to other guests not blocking the turning area. please call in advance to discuss luggage transfer arrangements if travelling with large coach.
- Cater for females
- Cater for groups
- Cater for individuals
- Cater for males
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities - The function room that can be used for conferences/workshops as there are tables and chairs. Please discuss on your booking form any conference requirements. There is a speaker system, computer projection panel and screen that can be booked for large meetings (additional costs for these facilities).
- Countryside Location
- Drying Facilities - One drying room with dehumidifiers is available on site.
- Exclusive Use - May be booked for exclusive hire at weekends and in the low season, including Christmas and New Year. For weddings an additional fee is charged for exclusive use of the grounds ie., we will not use the grounds for activity sessions for external groups during your booking.
- Family Friendly - There are suitable facilities for young families, including high chairs, travel cots and games rooms.
- Free car parking - Subject to availability, at the each building there is free parking area for people staying overnight.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - There is grassy area outside both buildings with picnic tables, well as grassed areas around the hostel, providing a secure play area.
- Licenced for alcohol - We operate a full bar during school holidays and when not booked for use by school age groups.
- Number of Shared Bathrooms - Some of the bunk rooms have shared bathroom facilities. There is a mix of single shower/wc units, showers and single sex washrooms for males and females. Most rooms in the main house have a private bathroom or en-suite.
- Open All Year - On exclusive hire basis during the winter period.
- Pets accepted - The rooms where Dogs are accepted are restricted. Advise when making a booking and further information can be provided.
- Pets accepted by arrangement - If there is an exclusive hire booking, several dogs may be permitted on site, subject to prior booking and supplementary payment.
- Restaurant - Generally evening meals at this site are pre-booked groups only. For Weddings a variety of menus are available, from cream teas, Hog Roasts, Hot and Cold finger buffets, Curry Buffet through to 3 course meals with full table service. A full price list is available for 2018 and 2019.
- Separate guests' lounge - Each building with bedrooms has a TV lounge with a games area for guest usage (unless booked for sole use by a group).
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties - We have a series of suitable packages for Stag and Hen groups, including "Peck on the Cheek" and "Prenuptial Jitters".
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Accessible Rooms - Ground Floor bedrooms with one wet-room shared bathroom facility that is wheel chair friendly.
- Green - Visit Devon Highly Commended award for sustainability 2017
- Groups Welcomed - Groups up to 120 people can be accommodated (and more if both YHA venues selected).
- In countryside - Set on the upper slopes of the valley above Okehampton, there are bluebell woods surrounding the hostel, with pied flycatchers nesting during springtime, and often Dartmoor ponies in the adjacent fields.
- Non smoking establishment - No smoking building (including e-cigarettes).
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - A victorian building that originally housed the carriages and wagons for the London and South Western Railway built in the 1870's. Some features can still be seen on the site.
- Cycle hire - At Granite Way Cycles based at Okehampton Station at the end of the Granite Way trail. Cycles can be hired for half-day or day. There are mountain bikes (adults and juniors), traditional bikes (adults only) and tag-a-longs and baby chariots for the younger children that don't cycle distances.
- Games Room
- Other sporting facilities - Adventure Okehampton has specialist skill courses on this site, with High Ropes and Archery Ranges.
- Water sports facilities - Adventure Okehampton operate various water-based activities from this venue, Gorge Scrambling, Canoeing, Kayaking and Raft Building.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates - Special group rates applicable for those booking full activity programmes with catering. For weddings different pricing applies and discounts may be available out of season when its a late booking.
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Free Wi-Fi - Dependant on number of users, may drop out towards limits of building.
- Ground Floor Accommodation - Ground floor bedrooms available.
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available - One ground floor bedroom is available at Bracken Tor House.
- Activity breaks - A full range of Adventure Activities can be booked at YHA Okehampton. The site has an archery range, bushcraft area, Low Ropes course. The centre has it's own lakes for kayaking, canoeing and raft-building. We also do Gorge Scrambling and Rock Climbing at other venues close-by. At our other site (Bracken Tor) a high ropes course and mountain boarding course offer additional options.
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - Bronze Award from Visit Devon Tourism Awards as Responsible, Ethical and Sustainable Tourism 2018
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for walkers
Travel & Trade
- Free accommodation for coach driver - Dependant on group size, this may be offered.
- Group discounts available - For Groups, there is a free leader place for every 10 people, if a full board activity break is selected. For adventure activity residentials we may offer discounted full-board packages, depending on the date of arrival, programme of activities selected, number of nights and the group size.
- Packed lunches available - Standard packed lunch includes filled roll (Cheese, Tuna, Ham with/without Salad), crisps, cake/biscuit, fruit and bottle of water. For groups, where possible we use large drinks containers and reusable plastic cups to reduce wastage.
- Room/unit allocations available - Dependant on group size and requirements, where possible we allocate groups within specific zones (ground floor), upstairs (west) and upstairs (east). This may not be available for late bookings or if there is under occupancy of the zone. During some period Tuesday/Thursday arrival for one night stays may be restricted to last minute bookings.
- Wi-fi available - Free wifi available, but best access is central parts of building around reception.
- Area for musician/band - There are various options for music, either under the gazebo, with external dancing area or in the main function room.
- Catering available in house
- Garden/grounds available for photography
- Lawn area for marquee
- Overnight accommodation available
- Range of drinks packages
Map & Directions
From the East
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and turn right at the end of the slip road. Follow this road for a further 2 miles into Okehampton town centre. In the town centre, you will pass over straight over two sets of traffic lights. In the town centre, pass a set of traffic lights (Pelican Crossing) and at the next set of traffic lights turn left, following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. About 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400m turn left at the monument. Follow this road, passing under the railway bridge and take the first left to access the Youth Hostel, where the hostel car park is behind the building.
From the West
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and follow road for about 2 miles into the town. At the first set of traffic lights, on a crossroads junction, turn right following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. About 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400m turn left at the monument. Follow this road, passing under the railway bridge and take the first left to access the Youth Hostel, where the hostel car park is behind the building.
Public Transport Directions
Buses serve Okehampton town centre, a 20 minute walk from the venue.
There are several services from Exeter Bus Station and Exeter St Davids (Train Station). These operate from 7.00 in the morning to 18.45 at night, except on Sundays, when there is a restricted service.
One service continues north to Bude. A different Stagecoach service (5) arrives via Crediton, North Tawton and Hatherleigh.
Other buses head to Tavistock, where there are connecting services to Plymouth, Princetown and other points in West Devon and Dartmoor.
In the summer only, there are services to Okehampton Railway Station (10 minutes walk) on a Sunday.
|YHA Okehampton (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* This venue may be on exclusive hire throughout the low season, as well as Christmas and New Year.
If availability is not showing for the period you wish to book, then please call for availability.
Generally the hostel is available for families and individuals bookings during school holidays and in the low season when not in use by groups.
The booking office is based at YHA Okehampton at Okehampton Station, which is open 9 to 3 during winter and 09.00 to 17.00 in the main season.
Reception is open for booking in between 17.00 and 20.00 hours (and later by arrangement) and for checkout between 08.00 and 10.00 (later by arrangement).
Exclusive Hire bookings have different checkin times as well their own terms and conditions.