This accommodation does not have any available rooms
Lower Blackaton cottage has five bedrooms, sleeping nine to twelve people, making it the perfect place for family and other gatherings, an ideal base for walkers, and a relaxing setting for those who just want to enjoy the peace and quiet of Dartmoor. It was once part of a settlement with several other buildings, of which two barns have survived. One of these, originally an older longhouse, can be rented with the house for workshops, small conferences, for special meals and celebrations, or just as an extra indoor space with table tennis. There is a walled garden and picnic area in the ruins of another longhouse or shippen. The house, surviving barns and ruin are all Grade 2 Listed.
A granite porch opens into a book-lined hall, the original cross passage. To one side of the hall is the kitchen with Aga and farmhouse table. To the other side of the hall two steps lead down into the former shippen or animal barn, now a triple-aspect living room with three south-facing windows, wood burner, TV and DVD player, piano, bookshelves, and a door to the main staircase. Beyond the kitchen is a secondary staircase and a smaller sitting room.
Upstairs, there are five bedrooms (two with double and single beds, one twin ensuite, one with bunk beds, one with a single bed and second pull-out single). There are extra beds on the landing (futon) and in the small sitting room (sofabed).
The informal grounds of an acre include woodland and wild flowers, and an open-fronted BBQ barn at the top of a spacious grassed area with open views of Hameldown. It is two miles across the top of Hameldown to Widecombe, three miles by road (two pubs, two cafés, National Trust shop and other gift shops, and Dartmoor’s largest church). The Two Moors Way runs along the top of Hameldown to the early bronze age settlement of Grimspound and to Hookney Tor – just one of the many varied local walks on the high open moor, along rivers in sheltered valleys, or through woods.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|High season||£2,110.00 per unit per week|
|Low season||£860.00 per unit per week|
From £860 per week for up to 9 people
(add £70 per additional person for a maximum of 12 people).
From £645 (2 or 3 nights) for up to 9 people
(Add £30 per additional person for a maximum of 12 people).
ADDITION OF BARN
£50 to £200, depending on intended use.
- Free Wi-Fi available
- Picinic Area - BBQ and picnic area in the ruins, or in the lean to by agreement.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - All children welcome
- Accept children all ages - There's a play area, trampoline, lawn area and lower garden for hide and seek!
- Children's play area
- Cot - Travel cot (free; BYO baby bedding)
- Facilities for children - Dressing up clothes, toys, games, puzzles, soft toys, books. Trampoline, swing, swingball. Parents are responsible for their children's safety. .
- Food/bottle warming available - Microwave
- Highchair - Two high chairs, one Victorian and one modern (Ikea)
- Broadband Internet Access
- Countryside Location
- Dogs Accepted
- Electricity inc in rate
- Exclusive Use
- Family Friendly
- Free car parking
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Informal, one acre, including walled herb & flower garden, large grassed area, woodland and wild flowers, picnic tables, open-fronted BBQ barn
- Ironing Facilities
- Launderette - Washing machine, tumble dryer, drying racks, washing line
- Linen available free of charge - All bedlinen provided (except baby bedding for travel cot). S/C guests are asked to bring their own bath towels.
- Linen provided - BYO Bath Towels
- Log Fire - Large wood burning stove
- Open All Year
- Pets accepted - Well behaved dogs by arrangement
- Pets accepted by arrangement
- Pets accepted by arrangement - Well behaved dogs welcome.
- Public telephone - Guest phone; WiFi; no mobile signal
- Short breaks available
- Wedding Venue - The top barn is available in addition to the house. Please contact for details.
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties - Single sex groups welcome, but not stag or hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Country house
- Film or TV location
- Groups Welcomed
- In countryside - Fields and open moorland
- Midweek breaks
- Non smoking establishment - No smoking in the house or barn
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - The house, barns and ruin of a former house or barn are all listed. The main barn and the ruin are thought originally to have been long houses probably pre-dating the main house, which is at least 400 years old. This part of Dartmoor is the setting for Conan Doyle's 'Hound of the Baskervilles', and more recently featured in the film of 'War Horse'.
- Weekend breaks
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking - Available locally at Shilstone Rocks Riding Centre and Babeny Farm Stables
- Cycle hire - Available from Fox Tor Café in Princetown (6 miles). Electric bike hire and guided tours from Dartmoor Electric Bicycles.
- Games room - The top barn has a table tennis table. It is available to rent in addition to the main house. Please contact for details.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Room for 8 cars in drive, plus extra parking spaces outside barn
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- Cash & Cheque accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player
- Central Heating
- Colour TV
- Drying Facilities
- DVD Player
- Free View TV
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ironing Facilities
- Non smoking rooms available - All rooms are non smoking
- Oven / Cooker
- Washing Machine
- Special provisions for cyclists - Bikes can be stored in the lean to. Hose pipe to wash down if needed.
- Special provisions for walkers - Immediate access onto the moor (e.g. the Two Moors Way along Hameldown to the bronze age settlement at Grimspound and Hockney Tor, through the Challacombe valley to Golden Dagger and Vitifer tin mines and Soussons woods).
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Wood burning stove
Map & Directions
Lower Blackaton is on a lane 3 miles NW of Widecombe. Its nearest neighbours are 400m.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station and coach stop: Newton Abbot (15 miles; London by train 2hrs 45mins) Ashburton taxis 01364 652423, Station Taxis 01626 334488 Airports (with car hire): Exeter (45 mins), Bristol (2 hrs)
|Open New Year|
|Lower Blackaton (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Open all year.
Short breaks except in main holiday periods.