This accommodation does not have any available rooms
Kirkside Barn sleeps up to 8 plus a baby or small child. The split-level design is unique with a well-equipped kitchen/diner, spacious living room with double sofabed (everyday use mattress), and 2 feature staircases leading to separate first-floor areas, giving privacy. The bedrooms: 1 double, 1 double or twin with zip-linked beds for flexibility, and 1 twin with an unusual bed (a delight for children but equally suited to adults). 2 bathrooms, one with shower over bath, and the small one with corner toilet and studio bath with shower spray, complete the accommodation. Sloping ceilings and dormer windows indicate the original hayloft! Young children are catered for with cot/small bed, stairgates and highchair. Outside is a private sunken patio with furniture and BBQ, second raised patio, and use of the owners' garden. The approach is by a granite-cobbled pathway, from the drive, where there is parking for 2 cars. Free Wi-Fi provided. Please note: - The small bathroom has limited head-height due to sloping ceiling. People with mobility difficulties may find this property unsuitable due to sloping cobbled path from drive to door, and steps in (owners') garden. Please phone to discuss. Children should be supervised in the (owners') garden due to steps.
Kirkside Barn is dog friendly, and accepts some other pets too. There are lovely walks from the gate, and the coast-to-coast cycle route is right outside. We have a bike storage area for your use. If you prefer a quiet start, enjoy the morning sun on the sunken patio, or later in the day, on the top patio. Watch the beautiful birds coming to feed at the bird table.
Enjoy the stunning views, wildlife, peace and tranquillity of Dartmoor National Park, and count the stars from the patio on a clear night. Relax and unwind at this idyllic location in a conservation area in the Tavy valley with views over the garden to moors, church and fields to the babbling Cholwell Brook. The cottage is only a few minutes walk from the fast-flowing River Tavy and the breathtaking rugged beauty of Dartmoor.
Things to do
There are 4 country inns with local ales and wonderful food in or near to the village, and many other lovely cafes, restaurants and pubs for your Devon cream teas, meals and scrumptious local delights within easy reach.
In the village, we have an excellent Post Office/shop for your newspaper, bread, milk and groceries including wine and beer (with great special offers), as well as a selection of delicious local products. Try out the childrens' play area, tennis and basketball courts, outdoor gym and football pitches on the recreation ground. Walk there via Jubilee Walk, or take the car - parking opposite the shop.
Although there is peace and quiet here, there are also lots to do and places to see! The award-winning market town of Tavistock, 4 miles away, has a good range of traditional independent shops, pannier market, superb bi-weekly farmers’ market, restaurants, leisure pool and arts theatre/cinema, and the remains of Tavistock Abbey. Tavistock and the Tamar Valley is a World Heritage Site for it's tin, copper and mineral mining heritage. Okehampton, with it's Norman castle ruins, is also a nice little town with a small cinema, and moorland railway in the summer.
There are stables to hire horses, and centres to hire bikes (including electric bikes) to enjoy the scenery of Dartmoor and West Devon. Adventure Centres cater for gorge scrambling, canoeing, rock climbing, pony trekking, zip-wires, tree surfing and archery. For a quieter time, try National Trust properties, gardens, walking in the woods or enjoying a coffee and watching the world go by.
Kirkside Barn is the ideal base for exploring Dartmoor, whether walking, cycling, horse riding or driving. The surfing beaches on the north Devon/Cornwall coasts, and the south coast's coves and villages, and the lovely cities of Plymouth and Exeter are easily reached by car. There are zip-wires, fishing, and gliding near by, and many lovely, interesting places to visit from stately homes to theme parks, wildlife centres to steam railways, waterfalls to castles, wild ponies to stone circles. There really is something for everyone!
Read Visit Dartmoor review
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Kirkside Barn||from £335.00 to £860.00 per unit per week|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Free Wi-Fi available
- Shop - Village shop/post office approx. 1/2 mile - on main road A386. Permissive walk to centre of village from top of hill (Mary Tavy Inn garden) to avoid walking on main road. Parking opposite shop.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children of all ages accepted.
- Accept children all ages
- Children's play area - Children's play area opposite Post Office in centre of village. Also tennis and basketball courts, and football pitches. Outdoor gym (adults only).
- Children's videos/DVDs available - A few DVDs available.
- Cot - Cot/small bed suitable for child up to approx. age 4.
- Highchair - Highchair available on request - free of charge.
- Countryside Location - Situated on a quiet lane on the edge of the village. 1/4 mile from A386.
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs welcomed - very dog-friendly. Dog bed/cushion and mat available - also food/water bowls and towels.
- Electric Car charging point - Charging point via 3 pin plug socket available. Please bring your own adaptor.
- Electricity inc in rate - All electricity included.
- Family Friendly - Children of all ages welcome. Stairgates supplied. Available on request: - cot/small bed; highchair. This property may not be suitable for people with mobility difficulties due to stairs and cobbled, sloping approach. Please phone to discuss - 01822 810720.
- Free car parking - Parking for 2 cars in the drive. Additional parking in the road outside the church.
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Sunken patio, with furniture and BBQ, immediately outside living room. Second raised patio with furniture. Use of owners' garden and washing line.
- Ironing Facilities - Ironing board and steam iron available
- Linen provided - All bedding and towels provided. Please bring your own towels for beach/swimming.
- On-site parking or valet parking - Parking for 2 cars in drive. Additional space on the road outside the church.
- Open All Year - Open until 1 Nov. 2019.
- Pets accepted - Dog friendly. Up to 3 dogs accepted - more considered. Other pets may be accepted - please phone to discuss.
- Pets accepted by arrangement - Dogs welcomed - very dog-friendly. Dog bed/cushion and mat available - also food/water bowls and towels. Other pets may be accepted - please phone to discuss - 01822 810720.
- Public telephone - Public telephone approx. 20 metres along road.
- Short breaks available - Short breaks available in winter and at short notice. Please phone for details - 01822 810720.
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access - Free Wi-fi available.
- Family - Children of all ages welcome. Stairgates supplied. Available on request: - cot/small bed; highchair. This property may not be suitable for people with mobility difficulties due to stairs and cobbled, sloping approach. Please phone to discuss - 01822 810720.
- In countryside - Situated in a conservation area on the edge of the village of Mary Tavy, approx. 4 miles from Tavistock. Within Dartmoor National Park.
- Midweek breaks - Short breaks in winter and at short notice by arrangement
- Non smoking establishment - This property is a no smoking establishment.
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Converted from a row of barns next to the owners' home.
- Village Location - Situated on edge of village in conservation area, within Dartmoor National Park.
- Weekend breaks - Short breaks in winter and at short notice by arrangement.
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking - Cholwell Riding Stables are just outside the village. Lovely escorted moorland rides for all abilities.
- Cycle hire - Cycle hire available in Tavistock and at Sourton Cross towards Okehampton.
- Fishing - Fishing in the River Tavy, approx. 5 mins. walk, with appropriate licence. Tavistock Trout Farm 1 mile. Roadford Lake 20 miles.
- Gym - Outdoor gym for adults only in centre of village on recreation ground.
- Indoor pool - Facilities in Tavistock and Okehampton.
- Tennis court - Tennis and basketball courts in centre of village on recreation ground. £2 per hour/match. Children free.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Parking for 2 cars in drive. Additional parking on the road outside the gate, by the church.
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN - Payment by cheque or bank transfer only.
- Cash & Cheque accepted - Payment by cheque or bank transfer. Cash accepted by arrangement on arrival if booking made at very short notice.
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player
- Central Heating
- Colour TV
- Drying Facilities - Guests can use owners washing line. Pegs and laundry basket provided. There is also a clothes airer in cottage.
- DVD Player
- Electric shaver point
- Free View TV
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hairdryer - Hairdryer in bedroom drawer.
- Ironing Facilities - Iron and board provided.
- Non smoking units
- Oven / Cooker - Double oven electric cooker provided, with grill and 4 hotplates.
- Towels Available - Towels and bedding provided. Please bring your own towels for swimming/beach.
- Washing Machine
- WiFi - Free Wi-fi provided.
- Mobile Phone Reception - Reception variable depending on network.
- Pets (Proprietors) on premises - A lively terrier and a lovely cat live with owners. Owners garden fenced to keep dog in.
- Special provisions for cyclists - Bike storage area on top patio. Tarpaulin available. Please bring your own padlocks.
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available - Free Wi-fi available.
Room / Unit Features: Kirkside Barn
- CD Player
- Central Heating
- Colour Television
- Drying Facilities
- DVD Player
- Ironing Facilities
- Non smoking units
- Pets Accepted
- Washing Machine
Map & Directions
From North: A30 from M5 at Exeter. After Okehampton take A386 towards Tavistock. After approx. 10 miles, pass almost through Mary Tavy. Turn left at Mary Tavy Inn, at the bottom of hill, turn right. Kirkside Barn is approx. 200 yards on the left just before the church. From South/Plymouth: Take A386 to Tavistock/Okehampton. On entering Mary Tavy, approx. 4 miles from Tavistock, turn right at Mary Tavy Inn. At bottom of hill, turn right. Kirkside Barn is approx. 200 yards on left just before church.
Public Transport Directions
½ mile to main bus route Okehampton/Tavistock/Plymouth Regular bus service from Tavistock to Plymouth. Nearest mainline train station is Plymouth. Rail station at Gunnislake for scenic journey to Plymouth. Nearest airport is Exeter. Several local taxi companies
|Kirkside Barn (1 Jan 2019 - 1 Nov 2019)|