This accommodation does not have any available rooms
Bracken Tor, set in 4 acres of landscaped gardens on northern Dartmoor has a fabulous views, so take a seat on our terraces and enjoy the magnificent sunsets. The fields beneath often have Dartmoor ponies grazing, very much part of the unique features of Dartmoor. Part of our adventure centre, this accomodation is available for booking all year and offers direct access for walking on Dartmoor. The venue is suitable for all types of groups, from families, friends and schools, though to corporate team building events and is even licensed for weddings. Bookings can be made for each individual building separately.
Bracken Tor House was built in 1908, in Arts and Crafts style, a similar period to the Lew Trenchard and Coombe Trenchard Houses, with many original features resembling a Hunting Lodge with wood panelled rooms. In total there are 7 bedrooms with private bathrooms, each between sleeping 2 to 8 people. Downstairs there is a lounge with a woodburner in the Arts and Crafts fireplace, dining room and self-catering kitchen. Recently many of the windows have been changed to more energy-efficient double glazed units, but in the style of the old Arts and Craft building. Outside there is a small seating area for al fresco dining and during May you'll be surrounded by bluebells. The House has TV and free wifi as well as a dedicated parking area.
Bracken Tor Lodge (Formerly The Filter House) has been converted to an energy efficient accommodation with underfloor heating. Upstairs has 8 bunk rooms, 4 of which are ensuite as well as 2 single bedrooms. Downstairs has a lounge/dining area and a self-catering kitchen. On the grass terrace outside there is a small seating area with picnic benches. Adjacent to the building there is a campfire circle with log seating for evening entertainment. The Lodge has free wifi as well as a dedicated parking area.
Bracken Tor Function Room: There is a separate function room that can be booked for weddings, receptions, conferences and this also provides the catering facilities for Bracken Tor. It can cater for up to 100 people around tables or 150 for buffet style reception. This building has been recently added, with underfloor heating, supplied by a ground source heat pump with energy supplied by solar panels. The low level lighting for the Function Room is all energy-efficient, and the manager hopes he won't have to change a light bulb in th next 10 years.
Adventure Add-ons: There are many adventure activities bookable on-site from High Ropes, Archery, Mountain Boarding and Bushcraft. We can also organise a full activity programme using our lakes or quarry or just provide a day session, whatever is most suited for your group.
Virtual Tour: You can check out our 360 virtual tour on google and see the various buildings, rooms and grounds to get a better picture of the venue.
Exclusive Hire for buildings: Bracken Tor House and Bracken Tor Lodge may be hired on various different pricing basis from self-catering accommodation unit(s), to bed and breakfast basis or half board and full board, with on-site catering at the function room, and you can also ask for a cash bar to be provided.
Travel Trade Bookings: We welcome bookings from Travel agents. Please contact us for terms and conditions.
Weddings: This venue is licensed for civil weddings. For weddings an additional fee is charged to guarantee the exclusive use of the grounds during your big day.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Bracken Tor||from £11.95 to £15.95 per person per night|
*Each building has individual rooms that can be booked online. Prices vary depending on season and availability from £22 for a bed in a single sex dormitory room, £29-£40 for a single room, £55-£76 for a twin bunk room, £60-83 for a 4 bed bunk room and £67 to £92 for a six bed room. Book through YHA web-site to get your membership discount.
We do offer sales with promotional prices throughout the year, these are typically non-refundable and may be up to 25% off the room price.
Contact us, if you want to make an exclusive hire booking:
Two nights hire depends on whether the booking is for mid-week/weekend or Low to High Season. The range is given below.
The House £794.00 - £1188.00
The Lodge £794.00 - £1188.00
Extra costs apply for exclusive use of grounds for weddings and other special events. If this option is not selected, we reserve the right to use the High Ropes course, Games areas, Bushcraft areas, Archery Range and Mountain Boarding courses in the grounds for adventure activity bookings.
Catering can be supplied at our Function Room, including Breakfast, Tea and Coffees, Buffet lunches, Afternoon Teas, Hog Roast, Hot and Cold Buffets, 2 or 2 course sit-down meal with table service, Sunday Carvery style meal.
- Free Wi-Fi available
- Picinic Area
- Within 1 Mile of a Train Station - Only operates on Sundays between June and September.
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users - One room in Bracken Tor House is accessible for wheel chair users. Our other site at YHA Okehampton has 9 ground floor bedrooms.
- Restaurant - Only open for meals pre-booked prior to arrival
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Accept children all ages
- Children's play area
- Countryside Location
- Dogs Accepted - When booked on Exclusive Hire dogs can be accommodated subject to prebooking and supplementary payment.
- Electricity inc in rate
- Exclusive Use
- Family Friendly
- Free car parking
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Linen available free of charge
- Linen provided - Whilst bed linen is provided, towels are not included. However they may be hired at reception (payment plus a deposit).
- Open All Year
- Short breaks available
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Groups Welcomed
- In countryside - On the edge of the woodland above Okehampton, with an easy walk to Yes Tor and Highwill Hays, the highest points in SW England.
- Weekend breaks
- Games room
- Other sporting facilities
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Ground Floor Accommodation
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - Visit Devon Highly Commended Award for Sustainability 2017
- Special provisions for cyclists - Small Bike Shed, Just off the Sustrans trail (GR27), the Granite Way
- Special provisions for walkers - Walking direct from the grounds on to Dartmoor with no road walking. There are routes that access Yes Tor and High Will Hayes, two of the highest points in SW England.
Travel & Trade
- Free accommodation for coach driver - For group bookings.
- Min group size numeric qualifier - For groups booking a Full Board Adventure Activity Package a free leader place is given for every 10 people booked with group.
- Packed lunches available - Prebooked packed lunches can be provided for groups.
- Room/unit allocations available - Where possible, we try to allocate rooms is close proximity and within a single zone.
- Wi-fi available
- Wood burning stove
Map & Directions
From the East
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and turn right at the end of the slip road. Follow this road for a further 2 miles into Okehampton town centre. In the town centre, you will pass over straight over two sets of traffic lights. In the town centre, pass a set of traffic lights (Pelican Crossing) and at the next set of traffic lights turn left, following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. About 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400m turn right at the monument. Follow this road, passing over the railway bridge and A30 dual carriageway take the first right to access the Youth Hostel, where the car park is at the entrance to Bracken Tor.
From the West
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and follow road for about 2 miles into the town. At the first set of traffic lights, on a crossroads junction, turn right following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. After 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400 m turn right at the monument. Follow this road, passing over the railway bridge and A30 bridge take the first right to enter the Youth Hostel, where the Hostel car park is beside reception.
Using a GPS navigation system
Do not use the Bracken Tor post-code in a GPS navigation system, as many of the systems will try and take you off the emergency access road to the A30
Public Transport Directions
There is public transport from Exeter St Davids, using various bus services serving Okehampton. Throughout the period from June to mid September, GWR are providing 4 trains on Sundays only service Exeter St Davids to Okehampton Station, about 15 minutes walk from Bracken Tor House.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dartmoor First 2010
|Bracken Tor (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Catering and outdoor adventure activities available for pre-booked groups.