Dartmoor Visitor and Tourist Information Centres
Start your visit to Dartmoor by popping into one of the National Park’s three award winning Visitor Centres. Come and find out what attracts over 150,000 visitors a year to these Centres where children can enjoy dressing up, games and films while adults can find out more about the Dartmoor story through exhibitions and displays. The Centres also stock the unique Dartmoor Range of products, inspired by Dartmoor, as well as books, maps and walks leaflets.
The High Moorland Visitor Centre in Princetown is the National Park’s flagship Centre where you can learn out about the Dartmoor story, be inspired by the fantastic Dartmoor Timelapse film, find out about Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles and the author’s connections with the building, while children enjoy dressing up, sitting in the junior Ranger Land Rover, a great fun zone and the Hairy Hands film in the spooky cinema.
If you are interested in finding out more about why Dartmoor is one of the most important places for Bronze Age archaeology in Western Europe then visit the National Park Visitor Centre at Postbridge. The whole family will enjoy the fascinating exhibition on life in the Bronze Age with genuine prehistoric finds on display as well as replica Bronze Age tools and weapons. Children can dress up as prehistoric settlers, build a Bronze Age house, complete a Bronze Age quiz and earn their Dartmoor History Hunter’s badge.
Haytor Visitor Centre is a great stepping stone to explore the popular Haytor Down area. Enjoy exploring this timeless landscape with its long history of human settlement - from prehistoric graves to granite quarrying, its wealth of wildlife and its vast open spaces where you can take time out from the daily grind and really get away from it all.
Visitor Centre Contact Details
Dartmoor National Park Authority run three visitor centres where you can gather information about activities, book accommodation online (at Princetown only) and purchase maps:
- High Moorland Visitor Centre, Princetown: 01822 890 414
- Haytor Visitor Centre: 01364 661 520
- Postbridge Visitor Centre: 01822 880 272 *seasonal only
Tourist Information Centres Contact Details
There are a number of tourist information centres on and around the moor where you will be able to book accommodation, purchase maps and books, get advice on what to do and where to visit:
- Ashburton Information Centre: 01364 653 426
- Bovey Tracey Information Centre: 01626 832 047 *seasonal only
- Buckfastleigh Information Centre: 01364 644 522 *seasonal only
- Ivybridge Tourist Information Centre: 01752 897 035
- Moretonhampstead Information Centre: 01647 440 043
- Newton Abbot Tourist Information Centre: 01626 215 667
- Okehampton Tourist Information Centre: 01837 52295
- Tavistock Tourist Information Centre: 4 Abbey Place Tavistock PL19 0AA. Situated within the post office open 7am-10pm
- Totnes Tourist Information Centre: 01803 863 168