The Okehampton Countryside Walks - West, feature give walks that will take you through some breathtaking countryside, with remainders of what was once a fascinating industrial landscape.
The walks are in the area to the southwest of Okehampton - taking in spectacular views of the high moors, and of Meldon Reservoir and Viaduct. The walks can be linked to the Dartmoor Railway which travels between Okehampton and Meldon, and there are also cycling opportunities along the off-road Granite Way cycleway.
To find out more about walking on Dartmoor. Go to Visit Dartmoor HERE
- Bar - There are numerous pubs in Okehampton.
- Café - There are numerous cafe's to be found in Okehampton.
- Accommodation nearby - There are plenty of accomodation options in the Okehampton area nearby to these walking routes including hotels, bed and breakfasts and camping. Check the 'accomodation' pages of this website, or visit the Okehampton Tourist Information Centre for further details.
- Experience level - intermediate - These walks require experience of walking on various terrains. As some stretches of these walks cross relatively open moorland, some map reading/compass skills may be useful.
- Fitness level required - medium - These routes include gradual and/or steep gradients. The routes vary in length, however a decent level of fitness is useful to enjoy these routes.
- Open all year
- Shop - There are an extensive range of shops in Okehampton.
- Toilets - There are public toilets in Okehampton town centre.
- Circular Route
- Easy Route
- Moderate Route
- The Meldon Dam Circuit - Circular Walk - 1 mile Easy to Moderate Walk
- The Meldon Quarry Circuit - Circular Walk - 6.5 miles Moderate Walk
- The Meldon Viaduct Circuit - Circular Walk - 4.5 miles Moderate Walk
- The Okehampton Deer Park Circuit - Circular Walk - 4.5 miles Moderate Walk