AboutThe Oxenham Arms Hotel is a truly magnificent Grade II* Listed, 12th Century Luxury Coaching Inn and Hotel, formerly a Monastery nestling right on the edge of Dartmoor in the Dartmoor National Park. Set in the heart of South Zeal, one of Devon's prettiest villages, yet only 20 minutes from Exeter and 5 minutes off the A30 dual carriageway to Cornwall.
The Oxenham Arms was originally built as a monastery around the famous 5000 year old South Zeal Menhir Standing Stone, all of which remains in place for your to see inside the hotel.
The establishment is a CAMRA Heritage Pub of Great Britain and is perfect for Romantic Breaks or Active Breaks for walkers or cyclists.
The Oxenham Arms has been carefully and sympathetically renovated to offer a selection of individually decorated luxury bedrooms, with super king oak canopy four posters, double and twin beds and all with new en suite bathroom facilities, handmade fabrics and complementary vanity products. Each room contains unique features, enjoyed by almost 1000 years of travellers including Charles Dickens, Francis Drake and Admiral Nelson.
Z beds are available for children in the rooms at a surcharge. All guest rooms are in the main original building either the old monastery or manor house.
One room, the Bovey Room is actually above the prehistoric South Zeal Menhir Stone.
Business room rate packages, meeting facilities are also available.
There is free car parking at the front of the hotel, free parking in the village and a public car park 300 metres away.
The Oxenham Arms has a fantastic reputation for excellent food from its Standing Stone Restaurant with Owner and Executive Chef Lyn Powell who heads up a great gastro bar food pub lunch and dinner menu selection of traditional and contemporary food, freshly sourced daily ingredients from local farms in the area.
The “Ox” has a lovely large beer garden which looks up towards the Dartmoor Cosdon Beacon. There are beautiful beer gardens at the rear and 5 acres of grounds, Dartmoor ponies and rare breed sheep.
The ancient log fire bar in the Ox is dog friendly and there is a family dining room with an enormous log fire.
Large groups can be accommodated for dinners, meals, and special occasions in one of the Inn’s four eating/dining rooms. Private dining for groups and families is a speciality.
The Oxenham Arms have produced a series of 5 published "Walks from The Oxenham Arms " colour guide and information leaflets for their hotel guests. Cycling, Riding, Shooting and Fishing breaks can also be organised. Golf courses are 15 minutes drive away.
- Celebrity connection - Previous visitors to the Oxenham Arms. Charles Dickens wrote Pickwick Papers here. The Rollings Stones, David Bowie, Baring Gould (Onward Christian Soldiers) and Prince Charles. The Oxenham Arms was originally built as a Monastery in the 12th Century
- Country house
- In countryside - The Dartmoor Way footpath passes through the rear of the gardens up to Dartmoor.
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Boasting fact and perhaps fiction, The Oxenham Arms has long provided archaeological and architectural comment. In the small lounge behind the bar, set in the wall, is a monolith and learned theory states that the monastic builders placed their house around this prehistoric stone, shaped by man over 5,000 years ago. Notwithstanding deep digging, its foundations have never been reached! And whilst some may slumber deep and peacefully at night, legend has it that two ghosts, a lady and a monk keep careful and friendly watch over guests.
- Village Location
Children & Infants
- Accept children all ages
- Children's videos/DVDs available
- Cot - Available on request.
- Facilities for children - Childs Z beds available - up to 14 years in Bovey and Chagford rooms at surcharge
- Highchair - Available on request.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Large Public Car Park 3 minutes walk from Hotel
- Off site parking
- On site parking
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking - Available.
- Fishing - Available- nearby- we can arrange.
- Games Room - Snug Bar contains Board Games
- Health/Fitness/ Beauty Facilities - Ladies massage and beauty treatments available in Bovey or Chagford rooms by prior request.
- Additional meal details - “The Standing Stone Restaurant” a la carte lunches and dining. Take Away Food available. Cream Teas available. Gluten Free and Special Dietary needs catered for.
- Bar - Available.
- Cater for vegetarians - Always available
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Room service - Available on request.
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- Serves Local Food
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Electric shaver point
- Four poster beds available
- Free View TV
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- Available for wedding receptions
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem)
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Original Monastery gardens and beer gardens
- Ironing facilities
- Licenced for alcohol
- Night porter
- Open all year
- Pets accepted - Dogs on leads are welcome in the public bar and beer garden Dogs are not allowed in the guestrooms due to bespoke fabrics in rooms
- Real log/coal fires
- Regular evening entertainment
- Separate guests' lounge - Lounge on first floor guest landing
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings - Small conferences and business meetings
- Christmas/New Year Programme
- Honeymoon Breaks
- Mobile Phone Reception
- Special provisions for cyclists - Cycles can be stored overnight in lock up
- Special provisions for lone female travellers
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - Four (4)
- Packed lunches available
- Room/unit allocations available
Map & Directions
From M5 - leave at Junction 31 - on to A30. After 16 miles leave A30 onto A382, signed to Services, Whiddon Down ,Moretonhamstead. Carry straight on at small roundabout. After 2 miles slow down turn right 10 yards after the white South Zeal sign, signed to South Zeal. The Oxenham Arms is in the centre of the village on the left opposite the village stores and Post Office.
Public Transport Directions
7 minutes drive from the main A30 dual carriageway making it an ideal stopover from Devon to Cornwall.
25 minutes drive from Exeter.
Bus transport available from South Zeal to Exeter, Okehampton, Chagford and Moretonhamstead.
|The Oxenham Arms (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Open 7 days a week all year.
For the rest of the year we are open for Hotel , public bars, bar food and restaurant.
Take Away food also available.
7 days a week lunchtimes and evenings
Food is served from 12 mid day until 3PM then 6PM until 9PM
Sunday Lunch is served from 12 mid day until 3PM
Public Bars Opening Hours 12 mid day until 3PM then 6PM until 11PM ( 10.30PM on Sundays )
Open all day on Bank Holidays and Festival days