This accommodation does not have any available rooms
YHA Bracken Tor and YHA Bracken Tor Lodge sit within 4 acres of landscaped gardens with direct access for walking on Dartmoor. If a happy holiday means swinging from ropes, clambering up walls, splashing through water and generally hurling themselves around, then this is the place for you!
Bracken Tor House is an old Arts and Crafts house has 7 bedrooms of accommodation ranging from 2 bedded bunk rooms to the largest 8 bedded ensuite bunk room. A large oak-panelled lounge has a wood-burner for those cool evenings, whilst the separate dining room caters for 34 people.
Bracken Tor Lodge was converted from the old Filter House for the underground reservoirs that supplied Okehampton, and now comprises of 8 bedrooms, ranging from single rooms, to 4/5 bed ensuites and 6/8 bed bunk rooms. There is a self catering kitchen and a main room seating up to 30 people. Catering service available at Bracken Tor House.
This venue is licensed for civil wedding ceremonies, either in the Oak Panelled room or the Bandstand outside the lodge on the lower terrace.
Adventure Okehampton manage this Activity Centre, and offer other sports such as rock-climbing, kayaking, gorge scrambling, cycling and much "moor" around Okehampton.
Other adventure activities, such as Pony Trekking, Surfing, Coasteering, maybe be provided and we work with other suppliers, to extend ourrange.
- Free Wi-Fi available
- Picinic Area
- Area for musician/band
- Catering available in house
- Garden/grounds available for photography
- Late licence for evening receptions
- Lawn area for marquee
- Overnight accommodation available
- Range of drinks packages
- Wood burning stove
- Accessible Rooms
- Groups Welcomed
- In countryside
- Non smoking establishment
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Accept children all ages
- Children's play area
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Cycle hire - At Granite Way Cycles based at Okehampton Station. Arrangements can be made to drop off and pick up cycles to Bracken Tor.
- Games Room
- Other sporting facilities
- Water sports facilities
- Cater for vegetarians
- Cooking facilities for guests' use - Only available if either The House or The Lodge are booked, as the self-catering facilities are in these buildings
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Serve breakfast - Our Catering Kitchen is in the function room on site and is separate to The House and The Lodge.
- Serve evening meal
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available - One ground floor bedroom is available at The House.
- Accept coach parties
- Cater for females
- Cater for groups
- Cater for individuals
- Cater for males
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities
- Countryside Location
- Drying Facilities
- Exclusive Use
- Family Friendly
- Free car parking
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Launderette - Laundry facilities (washing machine and dryer) are available in an annex to The House at Bracken Tor.
- Licenced for alcohol
- Number of Shared Bathrooms
- Open All Year
- Separate guests' lounge
- Wedding Venue
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Activity breaks - A full range of Adventure Activities are available at Bracken Tor. The site has an archery range, bushcraft area, High Ropes course and Mountain Boarding area. The centre has it's own lakes for kayaking, canoeing and raft-building.
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for walkers
Travel & Trade
- Free accommodation for coach driver
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
From the East
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and turn right at the end of the slip road. Follow this road for a further 2 miles into Okehampton town centre. In the town centre, you will pass over straight over two sets of traffic lights. In the town centre, pass a set of traffic lights (Pelican Crossing) and at the next set of traffic lights turn left, following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. About 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400m turn right at the monument. Follow this road, passing over the railway bridge and A30 dual carriageway take the first right to access the Youth Hostel, where the car park is at the entrance to Bracken Tor.
From the West
Leave the A30 at Okehampton (B3260) junction, and follow road for about 2 miles into the town. At the first set of traffic lights, on a crossroads junction, turn right following the signs to Okehampton Station and Youth Hostel. After 200m, take the 3rd turning right up Station Road, and after about 400 m turn right at the monument. Follow this road, passing over the railway bridge and A30 bridge take the first right to enter the Youth Hostel, where the Hostel car park is beside reception.
Using a GPS navigation system
Do not use the Bracken Tor post-code in a GPS navigation system, as many of the systems will try and take you off the emergency access road to the A30
|YHA Bracken Tor (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* On exclusive hire throughout the winter. Available for families and individuals during school holidays and when not in use by groups. The general booking office is based at YHA Okehampton at Okehampton Station, which is open 9 to 5 during winter and 08.00 to 20.00 in the main season.