Thorn Cottage is a traditional moorland cottage, approximately 200 years old and completely refurbished in 2010 to offer high quality accommodation.
It is an ideal base for those seeking a peaceful break away from the pressures of everyday living. We offer extensive views of Dartmoor, looking to High Willhays and Yes Tor, for those keen on walking in the National Park.
Sally has created a large garden over the last 30 years adjacent to the cottage which you are invited to enjoy and share with those guests staying at The Smithy. We also have a house dog, Sam the Westie, who enjoys visitors who make a fuss of him, or want to take him for a dog walk!
The accommodation comprises an open plan living room/kitchen where breakfast is served in the morning; a comfortable lounge area with TV and DVD for relaxing, with a woodburner in winter; double bedroom with basin and en suite toilet on first floor; use of own shower room and second toilet on ground floor.
The facilities include dressing gowns provided; TV, radio, hairdryer and tea making facility in bedroom; travel cot and booster seat available; second 'landing' double bedroom available, (NB Only suitable for same family/alternative sleeping); full English Breakfast prepared by Sally, available between 7 - 9.30am; secure Cycle storage available; parking adjacent to cottage.
We now welcome 1 pet in the B&B at Thorn Cottage.
Thorn Cottage is 2 miles from the nearest A road, so be prepared to enjoy the quiet peace and tranquillity of the countryside.
Dartmoor is one of the few areas in the UK where you can observe the stars and constellations in the almost complete absence of light pollution.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double Room||from £35.00 to £37.50 per person (breakfast included)|
|Double (En-Suite)||from £35.00 to £37.50 per person (breakfast included)|
*Single occupancy is 50% of full rate.
Children 3-16 yrs, 50% adult rate.
Babies - 2yrs
- Film or TV location - Remains of the Day and Warhorse locations nearby.
- In countryside - Surrounded by farmland, woodland and open moor.
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Site rich in Industrial archaeology.
- Village Location - Half a mile from centre of village.
Children & Infants
- Accept children all ages
- Children's play area - Garden space.
- Children's videos/DVDs available
- Cot - Travel cot available.
- Food/bottle warming available
- Highchair - Booster seat available
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - One parking space adjacent to cottage. Further parking available.
- Access to golf course - Hurdwick Golf course (4 miles)
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking - Pony riding available at Mary Tavy and Lydford.
- Cycle hire - Cycle hire available in Tavistock and at Meldon.
- Fishing - Fishing at Trout Farm near Tavistock
- Indoor pool - At Meadowlands in Tavistock
- Other sporting facilities - At Tavistock Sports Centre Gliding Club at South Brentor (2 miles)
- Outdoor pool - At Tavistock Sports Centre
- Tennis court - At Tavistock in the Meadows.
- Water sports facilities - At Roadford Reservoir (S W Lakes Trust)
- Additional meal details - Sandwich lunch can be provided and home made soup on request.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Serve breakfast
- Serves Local Food
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- Cash & Cheque only
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Electric shaver point
- Free View TV
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Broadband Internet Access
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Ironing facilities - Available on request. Use of washing machine available on request (small charge).
- Open all year
- Real log/coal fires
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Special provisions for cyclists - Secure cycle storage available on request
- Special provisions for walkers - Drying space for boots, coats, etc. Maps available
Map & Directions
Leave M5, J31.Take A30 signposted(SP) Okehampton & Launceston.
Leave A30 to join A386,(SP Tavistock). Proceed until you reach Lydford. (Dartmoor Inn Restaurant LHS) Turn RIGHT here ( SP Lydford & Brentor 5 miles).
Go through Lydford and past BOTH entrances of National Trust property Lydford Gorge. After 2 miles turn LEFT (SP North Brentor). A few hundred metres, at a sharp right hand bend, turn LEFT (SP Burn Lane).
Go past a thatched cottage on the RHS (Burn Lane Cottage) and then past The Linhay. The next property is our own. Pull into the parking space adjacent to Thorn Cottage (cream & green, and a statue in the wall!)
|Thorn Cottage (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|